Twitter Chat: Digital Payments in Developing Countries
by Communications Team, November 24, 2014
Join the Better Than Cash Alliance and our partners for an online discussion about safety and transparency in digital payments.
Start: Thu, Dec 04, 2014 12:00 PM EDT End: Thu, Dec 04, 2014 01:30 PM EDT
Safety and transparency are very important issues when it comes to sending and receiving digital payments within developing countries. Establishing trust in digital payments system and sufficient levels of consumer protection and transparency of service terms are key to broader adoption of digital payments. What’s being done to help reduce this concern?
To bring this issue to the forefront, the ICTworks community is joining with the Global Broadband and Innovations Alliance (GBI), a partnership between USAID and NetHope, and the Better Than Cash Alliance to host a Twitter Chat as we near International Anti-Corruption Day on December 9th, 2014.
- Matt Homer, Senior Policy Advisor for Digital Finance at USAID;
- Shelley Spencer, Program Director, NetHope/GBI Payments Innovations Team;
- Beth Porter, Policy Advisor, Financial Inclusion, UNCDF/ Better Than Cash Alliance;
- Hamilton McNutt, Program Manager, NetHope/GBI Payments Innovations Team.
We’ll start off with a quick round of introductions and then dive into three key questions on the safety and transparency of digital payments:
- How are digital payments safer for those making and receiving payments in developing countries?
- What digital payments consumer protection standards and best practices are emerging for transparency in fees and terms of service?
- GSMA recently released a code of conduct for mobile money operators. What does this do and what does it mean for transparency?
As with all Twitter Chats with ICTworks, it will be a fast-paced, global conversation that you’ll not want to miss. So mark your calendar now:
Twitter Chat: Digital Payments in Developing Countries 9am-10:30am PST (17:00 GMT) Join with the hashtag #ICTchat
See you on December 4th!
About the Author
Better Than Cash Alliance, New York, USA
Communications Team at Better Than Cash Alliance, based in New York, NY.